Monday, September 23, 2013

September 23, 2013

Hey Thorne Fam!
Another week has gone! This week seemed to drag on a little bit longer than last week because we had a lot of appointments fall through and that always makes days seem a little longer. We are staying busy though! There is a lot happening here in Morehead. We've worked out a nice program that allows us to get out with members more. We call 1/4 of the sisters in our area on Sunday and ask them when they can go out with us that week, what time fits with their schedule. Then we make sure we have an appointment at that time or at least some LA's we can visit. And then we call some more the next Sunday. Then each sister only has to go with us about once a month so it's not a huge stress. We were able to go out with 6 sisters this past week! So the ward is starting to get more involved and we are starting to become more recognized around town.
As for investigators: we have 5 progressing!!! That is Kat, Abdullah, Bill, Jeannie, and Alisha. 

Kat is amazing like always. Everything with her pastor went amazingly. He is completely supportive. Now she just has to talk to her parents and set a date. Hopefully that will happen this week!

Abdullah is moving along slowly but surely. We are meeting with him today. We had both a really good and a really bad lesson with him this past week. The good one was with Sister Marshall and we had a set direction and if any of his questions were going to stray from what we had planned to talk about, we explained that we would answer them later. But the second, we didn't have a set direction and we went off in so many different ways, the Spirit definitely wasn't there. It was a big testimony to me of the importance of lesson planning.

Bill is a new investigator we found last weekend and met with him for the first time Saturday. In 1 week he had read up to Alma!!! He has so many questions and he is really comprehending all that he reads. He was teaching us about the Book of Mormon! We are meeting with him again today with Sister Gibbs and we are hoping that this lesson will go equally well. Maybe a bap date? I'll keep you updated. 

We had a really cool lesson with Jeannie on the Plan of Salvation. She loved all that we shared with her and agreed with it all. I know she felt the spirit. She hasn't been reading the Book of Mormon so we will want to start focusing on that a bit more. We will be meeting with her next Sunday. 

We also had a miracle with Alisha! Sister West and I, on our exchange last Wednesday, decided to teach her about the commandments, particularly focusing on the Law of Chastity which we know she is breaking. I was kind of like... uh.... so soon? But I trusted Sister West and the lesson was really really powerful. She didn't commit to living the LoC yet, but she was seriously thinking about the consequences of breaking it. Progress.

As for your email:

1) Brit: you look stunning!!!! Oh my goodness!!! I didn't realize how beautiful you are becoming. It kind of shocks me every time I see a picture of you again. I think I kind of forget during the week. :P But you look beautiful and modest and I am so proud of you and Caleb. You keep going girl. You're going to make an amazing missionary. :)

2) Mandy: I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! *secret handshake* That's my girl! Woot! Woot! Woot!!! *doing a fun little dance in the library* I am so proud that you are holding your standards high and keeping your promise to me and your Heavenly Father by listening to a prophet's voice and answering the call to not date until your 16. I told Sister Sperry as soon as I read that. I am so very proud of my little Manda-loo. :)

3) Josh: How was the yurt trip? Sounds like a blast! Good job on the grades bro! You are honoring your priesthood and making me proud. That's my Joshie!

4) Brandon: I am so glad to hear that you are having a blast at Cook! Thanks so much for your cute little email and all the awesome pictures! Your room looks amazing! Keep listening to Mom and Dad! Love you!

5) AW!!!! I can't believe that you got to see 2 of my most favorite sisters and I am missing them so much! Sister Earl and Sister Whiting have been amazing examples to me out here. They each have made me into the missionary I am today. Even though I wasn't comps with Sister Whiting, I looked up to her a lot. :D

6) Mom: Sounds like you have your hands full! You go supa mom! You're capacity to love is going to change a lot of kids lives.

7) Please tell Dan hi from me!

Thought for the week comes from Elder Holland's last General Conference talk.

"When facing the challenge of faith, the father asserts his strength first and only then acknowledges his limitation. His initial declaration is affirmative and without hesitation: 'Lord, I believe.' I would say to all who wish for more faith, remember this man! In moments of fear or doubt or troubling times, hold the ground you have already won, even if that ground is limited. When those moments come and issues surface, the resolution of which is not immediately forthcoming, hold fast to what you already know and stand strong until additional knowledge comes."

There are many times in our lives when doubts enter into our minds. Every missionary in the beginning will look at themselves and think "Look at how much I do not know! Look at how much I have to grow! I can't possibly do what is required of me." This happens in our daily trials as well. But I know that as we hold fast to the faith that we do have, we do not doubt or fear, that God will eventually bring us the additional light and knowledge he has promised to us. So that is my invitation for this week: Hold fast to the knowledge that you have and HOPE and believe that there is more to come. Along with that, I leave Elder Holland's final invitation as well, in my own words. If your faith or testimony is failing, I invite you to lean on mine. I know this gospel is true. I know Jesus is the Christ. I know Families can be together forever. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Love eternally,
Sister Thorne

 This was taken walking to the Arts and Eats festival. It rained like all day! But it was so much fun and we got to talk to a lot of good people. :)
 This is Bishop making a bowl with Hayley (also a member). Bishop is nationally renown for his pottery. So at the Arts and Eats festival, he did a demonstration with the kids where they got to make their own pot. Cool!
 Sister Sperry eating Dorito Casserole for the first time! I couldn't exactly remember the recipe so I kind of guessed. It was a little different but still good!
This is the baby turtle that I found on the road while we were biking. Of course we immediately stopped and rescued it, almost getting hit in the process. But we had to! Look how cute it is! And now it's safe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment