Monday, February 24, 2014

February 24, 2014

Hey Thorne Fam!

Hello hello hello!!! First and foremost, I love Beckley, Kentucky and Sister Smith!!!!! This area is so beautiful and so full of potential. There is so much about to happen here and so much currently happening! I am so excited to be able to be a part of this beautiful work! My new comp is Sister Smith (I'll send pics). She's absolutely adorable, almost a year younger than me, from Minnesota, the only girl of her family, very sarcastic and absolutely nutty just like me! I just love her! Our area is called Beckley, but the town we live in is actually called Middletown, KY. Try looking up that one instead. No, I am not an STL. I am actually just a normal missionary!!! It's SOOOO amazing! You only have to work on your area and worry about your one comp who is already super experienced (she's hitting her 9 month mark this week). AND.... *drum roll* our church building is the one across the parking lot from the temple!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! I got to see it twice this week! And we go to the temple every 6 months and that 6 month mark is March so we should be able to go soon! I can't even describe my joy! :D

Also cool info about Beckley, it was whitewashed about 9 months ago by one of my daughters!!! Aka Sister Black! Do you remember her? I was comps with her in Jasper after Sis Junk left. She then came to Beckley and whitewashed it! So I am following up on her work! I actually found some of my notes that I gave her floating around the apartment. So cool!

Sis L is staying in Morehead with Sister Hodges, one of my really good friends. She came out with me and we were in the same district in Evansville so I know her really well. She was an STL for a while so she's a super hard worker and she is going to do so much with Morehead. :) I'll update you with all I hear.

Also, these computers have more of a time limit on them so emails won't be as long now. But I'll try!

As for this area:
WE HAD A BAPTISM YESTERDAY!!!!! Rachel got baptized! She has been taking lessons for almost a year and Sister Peterson (the sister I took the place of) and Sister Smith finally got her to fully commit to baptism. Sister Peterson was so glad that she was able to come back up to that baptism. We are so grateful to see how cemented Rachel's testimony is and how much she truly loves this gospel and these people. What a sweetheart. :)
We also have one bap date which is Gabe. He is 9 years old and his mom is LA. He is so very bright and he came to church yesterday and got to witness Rachel's confirmation. We have that bap date set for Mar 8th. He's been taught and understands everything so all we really need to do is get his interview done and plan the baptism! Yay!
Also progressing is Debbie. She is an older lady who was found by Sister Peterson and Sister Smith through service! They helped her move into her new apartment and now they are teaching her. We taught her L1 this week by watching the Restoration movie and committing her to read and pray about the Book of Mormon. She said she will. We are shooting towards setting a bap date this next lesson and then getting a ride for her to come to church.
Finally is Tracy, Josh and their son Gavin. This is actually a member referral. I haven't actually met them yet, but I've talked to Tracy on the phone. They're family has been taught L1 and L2 but haven't been able to get to church yet because of Tracy's crazy work schedule. This weekend we are having a lesson in the Reasor's (active members) home where we will be setting a bap date and getting them to church!

As for your email:
1) Congrats on the motorcycle! I want pics!
2) Congrats Scott!!!!!!!! AH! I had a member in Morehead from that mission. He said it was hard, but so incredible. Good luck! Let me know if you need anything!
3) *deep breath* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRIT! I'm so excited for you! I can't believe you will be opening your call the day after my year mark! That is so crazy cool! I can't wait to hear all about it! You'd better send me like a billion pics! AH! Write me soon! I can't wait to hear from you!
4) As for visiting after my mission, I was actually thinking about it and I really want to come home and get released before coming back to visit. There are so many men who have become my good friends that I would really like to be able to give a hug. But I have to get released before I can do that. Then I was thinking we could drive! It would be cheaper and that's always better. And I was also thinking that maybe we could go in December? Or maybe Spring Break? What are your thoughts?
5) Yes on all fb requests. :)

Love you all lots!!!

Love forever, Sister Thorne
 My final FHE with my awesome Morehead Institute family. Back row: Jamie, Hannah, Leslie, Rachel, Rebecca. Front row: Jordan, Sister Thorne, Emily
 Our cute new apartment! It's a lot smaller than before and has some pretty crazy quirks. But I love it! You walk into the door to the living room (seen in pic) and the kitchen is in front of that (back of pic). Then turn right to get to our bathroom and bedroom!
 Sister Smith and I. Aren't we adorable?!
Rachel's baptism!!!!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment